The Cumbernauld & District branch of the Multiple Sclerosis Society was formed in 1974 and is committed to enhancing the well-being of the life of people affected by Multiple Sclerosis within North Lanarkshire and East Dunbartonshire
What we do:
- Monthly meetings in Cumbernauld and Kirkintilloch
- Drop-in with taster therapies
- Ladies lunch group
- Support to our members and anyone affected by MS. For example we provide the use of a “credit taxi” scheme so people will not be out of pocket if wishing to attend a meeting.
- Raise awareness of living with MS through publicity events and promotional materials. We are always keen to reach people who may not be aware of the branch.
- Monthly branch newsletter which is posted/emailed to over 150 interested parties and supporters including MPs, MSPs, local councillors, health care professionals, and many others who have a keen interest in the work of the branch.
- Participation in the Policy forum of the MS Society, which lobbies and maintains pressure regarding matters which concern us such as the “postcode lottery” which continues to throw up unfair discrepancies these are familiar to us especially as the branch includes 2 separate Health Authorities.
- Our fundraising team hold regular collections and events to benefit our members and others. We are very grateful to the many people,businesses and organisations who regularly sponsor/support the branch. The fundraising team are always on the look out for new ideas.
Membership of the MS Society is not compulsory in order to join the branch, although the annual fee of £5 includes several regular publications, voting rights at local and national level, and other benefits of membership. There is also a comprehensive list of publications, DVDs and other educational materials.